Have you ever tried writing a letter to yourself? I have. And not only tried, but today I did it already for the second time. I know it might seem completely crazy to you, the way it sounds, but believe me - it's not, it's actually nice to read the words you wrote to your Future Self a few years back.
Yes, that's exactly what I do - I write letters to myself "from the future". I started that in 2009, when I was 25 and I wrote a letter to myself which I was supposed to open only when I get 30. And today I wrote the second one - which I will open on the day of my 35th birthday (I cannot wait!).
Now you should ask: "So what are you actually writing in those letters?" Well, first I tend to say a bit about my present life, what has happened and what is still happening in the year when I am writing it. I share my general thoughts about life, about how I see my future in 5 years (I try to write these letters every 5 years). Then I make some wishes to the "Anna from the Future", basing on what I do and feel right now. I also mention my Friends and my Family. I talk about work, travels, dreams... Wishing that the Future Anna will have realized them by the time she reads that letter.
And what happens in the moment of actually reading that letter from Anna from the Past? I smile, sometimes even laugh, I get shocked, surprised, satisfied or disappointed. But overall this is a very happy and inspiring moment, after your yet another birthday party is over. It's a bit like making a revision of your 5-year resolutions. You can see what you succeeded at, where you failed and what is still to be accomplished in your life. And those are the things you can still put in your next letter, so you have another 5 years to make it come true!
One advice though: once it's written, remember to put it in a place where it will be easy to find 5 years from now. And then... don't forget to read it when the time comes :)
No comments:
Post a Comment